Jack has been at the Shelter for more than a year. His original owner was killed in a car accident. The owner’s sister took Jack into her home. Due to the sister’s age, she was worried about falling, and so she tied Jack outside, chained to a box. The sister felt incredibly guilty, so she gave Jack to the Shelter. Jack is very playful and loving! For additional photos of Jack, click here.
In late January, the Tucker County Animal Shelter in Parsons, WV, found that 5 of their dogs were very sick (Jack, Jesse, Axle, Anna and Sweetie). According to the Shelter Director, “I thought we had some kind of nasty virus. All of the dogs suffered with coughing, vomiting and severe diarrhea”.
Well, as it turns out, a parolee working at the Shelter admitted to intentionally mixing pure bleach in all 5 dogs’ water bowls. The case will be heard by a Grand Jury. Until the legal proceedings are complete, we cannot share additional information.
However, what we can tell you is that the 5 dogs received immediate emergency veterinary treatment for poisoning. The good news is that all of the dogs have fully recovered, are doing fine, and are now available for adoption. The bad news is that the Shelter has no funds to pay the bill and no expectations of being reimbursed for this non-routine and significant expense. The discounted cost of treatment was $85 for each dog, for a total of $425.
RADAR has committed to pay for this vet bill on behalf of the Tucker County Animal Shelter, and so we need your help. As despicable as this act of cruelty was to these innocent dogs in their safe place (the Shelter), your donations will prove that compassion always conquers cruelty.
UPDATE! We are happy to report that on February 29, 2012, with YOUR generosity, RADAR PAID the $425 vet bill for Jack, Jesse, Axle, Anna and Sweetie!! We thank all of our supporters who helped these 5 dogs and Tucker County Animal Shelter!
UPDATE! Jack has been pulled by Friends of Homeless Animals!
UPDATE! Jack has been adopted! And his new family has named him Tucker!
Thanks to the generosity of our donors, we were able to pay their vet bills.
If you would like to help us have the ability to help other dogs, please click here to visit our “Donations” page.
Thank you to the following contributors, who gave specifically to Jack and the other 4 dogs who were poisoned:
Cindy Hagan; North Mountain Soy Candles; Denise Winslow; Susan Miller
Added on February 12, 2012.