Hi there! My name is Tye, and boy do I have a tale to tell! I’m a 10-year-old Labrador Retriever mix. Oh, and I’m totally blind in both eyes. On June 6th, my owners surrendered me to the Harnett County Animal Shelter in North Carolina. I’ve been trying to figure out why ever since. As a senior, black and blind dog in an overcrowded rural shelter, my prospects were not good. It didn’t help that I was so frightened by being in a strange and stressful place, made all the worse by being unable to see.

When a group called RADAR learned about my plight from Chris Leone on June 7th, they offered to help with my vetting costs if a rescue would take me. But the next day an adopter from Maryland stepped up to save me! On June 10th I was able to leave the shelter and go stay for a few days with a wonderful temporary foster Mom named Tia Kocher. She thought I was quite the gentleman! Tia then transported me to my forever home up in Maryland on June 13th. I thought everything would be okay, but then again, it was Friday the 13th.

I’m not sure what happened, but I ended up biting my new owner. It all happened so quickly, and I’m not sure why I did it. But remember, I’m blind and was still trying to get acclimated to my new family and surroundings. On June 16th, I was once again surrendered to a shelter. This time it was the Humane Society of Carroll County shelter in Maryland. I was put on a 10-day bite quarantine. When the folks in Harnett County and RADAR heard about what happened, they went to work to get to the bottom of things and try to save me once more. Chris called the shelter to get updates on a daily basis and shared with everyone. She reached out to rescues, hoping to find someone to take Tye. People from near and far fought to get me out before it was too late. Thank goodness for loving people with big hearts!

RADAR reached out to several contacts to see if someone could go to the shelter and evaluate me. A nice woman named Marian Ruth came forward to help. Not only is she experienced with blind dogs, but she is also a dog trainer. Once the bite quarantine was over, Marian came to meet with me at the shelter. Here is what she said about me: “Tye was the sweetest, most laid-back dog. I gave a treat, took the treat, had the tech clap behind him, moved keys, stomped feet. There was no aggressive or fearful behavior at all. This all occurred in a room that he had never been in. He was able to navigate the room by touching the wall. The tech stated that when she walked him, he touched her the whole time. He walked into her several times, and her feet clipped him when he was too close. There was no aggressive or fearful behavior. Today was his first day out of quarantine. The tech had nothing but good things to say about him. I wouldn’t hesitate on saying he is a good dog for rescue.”

Based on Marian’s evaluation, once more RADAR provided an offer to assist if a rescue would come to my rescue. Miracle of miracles, thanks to Tia Kocher offering to foster me again, the NC Dog Rescue in North Carolina agreed to take me! Chris, Tia and Marian worked so hard to get everything in place for my rescue. Marian rushed to pull me from the shelter on June 28th. She arrived just 12 minutes before I was scheduled to die. Marian fostered me until July 3rd, when I was transported back to Tia in North Carolina. I finally got my initial vetting done on July 17th. I just love my foster family, and Tia says I’m doing really well. I’m so grateful to everyone who worked to give me another chance! Click here to see more photos of me!

RADAR paid all $208 of Tye’s initial vetting costs.

UPDATE! All funds for Tye have been raised! Thank you!

UPDATE Tye crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday, October 4, 2014. We were told that he was “outside, enjoying the sun on his coat and the breeze in his face. He went peacefully on his own.” Rest in peace, Tye.

If you would like to help us have the ability to help other dogs, please visit our Donations page.

Thank you to the following contributors, who have given specifically to Tye:

Chloe’s SOS FundBlack Dog Fund; Mary Brown Haak; Christine Leone, in honor of my nephew who died on the same day I worked so hard to save Tye. Life is so precious, and I know my nephew John Taylor would be happy to know Tye is happy and free! 

Added on July 26, 2014.

Spread the RADAR Love and Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *